As I'm on study leave I decided that I would use the opportunity to visit other Baptist Churches in the area. It is rare for me to go to church as an a complete visitor these days but I'm facinated by the questions that go through my mind. I share them, not because they are profound, but because I suspect that there are lots of people who might come to our churches but who find it hard to overcome the anxiety.
1. Where exactly is the church, do they give the postcode on the website for Sat Nav?
2. Is there somewhere to park nearby?
3. What are the people like, will I fit in, how will they react to visitors, should I dress up?
4. What time will it finish (can I get back in time to pick Matthew up from cricket)?
5. What will the worship be like? Will anyone have planned it, will I be able to sing the songs, will I be grumpy or feel that I've had an opportunity to be encountered by God?
6. Will the sermon be good?
7. Will the refreshments be drinkable?
In order to protect the innocent and the guilty I'm not going to blog my thoughts on any individual congregation!